There are those commercials we all get a kick out of; they make us laugh and have us reaching for the remote to rewind the DVR. And then there are the rest of the commercials. These are the ones that have us making mental notes to never, ever buy the product so that we can stand our ground at how frustrating we believe their marketing and advertising efforts are. And then we usually buy them anyway. So with that thought in mind and a record number of these commercials flashing across the TV the past few weeks, here are a few cringe-worthy wastes of advertising budgets.
5. Any commercial for Swiffer. The way they take a perfectly wonderful soundtrack from the ‘80s and pair it with ridiculous mops and brooms should be illegal.
4. The Allstate commercials that feature Dean Winters (Remember him? He was one of John Munch’s (Richard Belzer) partners in the early seasons of Law & Order SVU). Why, Cassidy, why? You were so cool in SVU!
3. The Totinos Pizza commercial with a bunch of kids who are just too…something. I dunno. Can’t stand the peculiar facial expressions of everyone in that commercial and frankly, I never was a fan of Kim Wilde’s “Kids in America”.
2. OK, so this one isn’t so much a commercial; but rather an infomercial. What makes Kevin Trudeau believe he can hawk his products while remaining credible when he chooses a series of models (and I’m not sure, but I’m thinking I might be using that term a bit too loosely) to share the wealth with? Really? Oh- and the best part is that he manages to keep a straight face as though it’s the most common occurrence ever. Trust me, old chap – no one else is keeping a straight face out here in the real world.
1. And the Numero Uno Most Annoying and Frustrating Commercial on TV today – the Activia commercial where Jamie Lee Curtis pushes a cart through the park looking for volunteers to gobble some tasty yogurt! It’s not so much the commercial itself, it’s the man who gets talked into trying it and then gives his testimonial before swallowing. His voice is garbled as he tries to say, “Mmm…this is really good” in an exaggerated manner and with a mouthful of yogurt. We’re blessed with a shot of his face as he attempts this feat. C’mon – it’s YOGURT – not Elmer’s Glue you’re eating! If it’s that difficult, give it a few seconds when you can speak without looking like a complete goober. Sheesh!
And there it is – my list of commercials that I mute to avoid hearing whiney voices, stupid claims or unrealistic nonsense. And yes, I realize in the whole scheme of things, this means nothing – but tell the truth…there are commercials that make you cringe too, right? Let me hear them! Tweet me, leave a comment or email me – can’t wait to see how close my list mirrors everyone else.